In the unusual circumstances of 2020, Liberal Judaism is committed to providing a meaningful & accessible High Holy Day season.
Pre-Recorded Services & Sermons
Liberal Judaism is committed to ensuring that all who wish to can access the High Holy Days.
To this end we have pre-recorded audio services for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, which are available to download free of charge, or as a CD.
If you wish to have a CD for yourself or someone you know, or if you require assistance downloading these services, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible, and we will work to ensure that everyone who wants to can access the High Holy Days.
Yom Kippur (27th - 28th September)
All Liberal Judaism communities are offering online Yom Kippur services, and some are also offering limited physical activities. You can find your local community as explained above.
Additionally, Liberal Judaism is offering a range of activities during the afternoon of Yom Kippur:
- 12pm: A shadow-puppet retelling of the Book of Jonah, click here to watch on youtube.
- 1pm: A dramatised Musaf (additional) Service by NPLS, click here to watch on youtube.
- 3pm: A service for younger children by NPLS, click here to watch on youtube.
- 4:30pm: An LJY-Netzer service for older children, click here for more information.
- From 2pm-4:30pm: rabbis and lay leaders will be running a range of study sessions for you to dip in and out of. For further joining details please contact the community in question or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1:30pm: Jonah - Going Down, Down Down, and Up with Student Rabbi Nicola Feuchtwang. Contact email@example.com for access
- 2pm: What can we learn about Yom Kippur from the Mishnah? with Rabbi Margaret Jacobi, accessible here, or watch via LJ's Facebook
- 2:30pm: Meditative Yom Kippur service with Sharon Law. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access
- 3pm: The Akeidah Project with Rabbi Charley Baginsky, accessible here & streamed via LJ's Facebook
- 3pm: Post-modern Teshuvah? The resonance of Al Cheit with Rabbi Rene Pfertzel. Contact email@example.com for access
- 3pm: Impurity, the High Priest, and His Dark Materials, with Student Rabbi Gabriel Kanter-Webber. Click here for Zoom access.
- 3pm: Amos: the first Liberal Jew with Rabbi Andrew Goldstein, Emeritus Rabbi of NPLS, streamed via LJ's Facebook. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access
- 3pm: Reflections on Jonah with Rabbi Rebecca Birk. Contact email@example.com for access.
- 3:30pm: Some Mussar teachings on Teshuvah with Rabbi Monique Mayer. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access
- 4pm: The LJS presents a dramatized online production of The Book of Jonah starring Dame Janet Suzman as God and featuring Joshua Higgott (Hamlet) and Felicity Davidson (Leopoldstadt) and with reflections by Jonah on his experience of being called to Nineveh, watch via the LJS's Youtube Channel.
Sukkot (2-3 October) and Simchat Torah (9-10 October)
Most Liberal Judaism communities are making provision for Sukkot and Simchat Torah. You can find your local community here.
Note for community leaders
If your community is offering anything special or extra that you would like listed on this page, please contact email@example.com to discuss!